Stick and Cones


This little guy didn't mind having his picture taken in exchange for some goodies

Just had to share this cute little guy or gal that was hanging out on this tree this weekend while my family and I were at Blue Springs National Park.  I gave him some of my cheezits and he was a happy little guy.

Nature has always inspired me so when I'm not paper crafting I am either collecting sticks and such or I may be painting and or glittering them.  I think that a house is a not a home until you bring in a bit of the outdoors and whether I leave them in their natural state or add paint and or glitter they are a welcome element to a vase, bowl or basket.

Bowl of Sweet Gums, Pine Cones and Sticks

It doesn't have to be a holiday to have a little glitz in a bowl I use clear glitter on a natural cones and when the light hits these little gems just right voila shine and the rest of the time simple and decorative in whatever container they are in.

I refuse to believe that any home can't be made beautiful with a little of natures beauty. You don't have to have money to decorate.  My first home 31 years ago was decorated with paper bags and pine cones and those small items made our house a home.

I took grocery bags and folded it over a few times making a cuff and then placed pine cones in the bag for decoration.  I had gathered the cones from the Suwanee River one weekend when on a family day of recreation and picnicking with friends so the cones held a lot of memories with them.

I have now migrated to decorating the items I bring in from nature with paint and glitter not that I don't still enjoy a few of the cones left plain but who doesn't like a little sparkle.

Silver Spray Painted Sweet Gum Ball & Cones with Silver Glitter

Bronze and Clear Glitter applied to Cones

Items to Gather:
  • Cones & Sticks
  • Spray Paint (optional)
  • Glitter
  • Glue
  • Brush
  • Plastic Jar(s) large enough to fit a pine cone in.
  • News Paper 
  • Wax Paper
  • Styrofoam Trays (optional)

First thing to do with cones is before bringing them into the house wash and clean to remove any little dirt and critters that are hanging out in the crevices, let dry.

Prepare an area with newspaper and the wax paper to work over the top of.  Glitter isn't guaranteed to stay completely on the paper, but it does help.  The wax paper makes it easy to dump left over glitter back in the jar used for application.

Once dry now its time to paint them if desired or skip to glitter. Glue needs to be poured into a container that will be designated for sticks and cones and be easily sealed when not in use.  I use one of my leftover modge podge jars and label it so that I know it isn't modge podge anymore.  

Taking the brush and dipping it into the jar to about half way up the brush with plenty of glue now dab all over the tips of the cone from top to bottom.  Make sure glue is thoroughly applied and then place in jar of glitter, screw on lid and shake well.  Glitter should be well applied and now remove cone from jar and lay on styrofoam tray.

Once good and dry you are ready to place your cones in a bowl or vase for a table or shelf.